Current News in Women and Newborn Nursing
Want to see what the latest topics are revolving around OB nurses?
Check out these websites to stay on abreast of current news, but also view these resources when you are a practicing RN for free and fast information.
- American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists: This resource provides the highest quality education worldwide, continuously improve health care for women through practice and research, lead advocacy for women's health care issues nationally and internationally, and provide excellent organizational support and services.
- Association of Women's Health, Obstetric, and Neonatal Nurses: AWHONN is designed to improve and promote the health of women and newborns and to strengthen the nursing profession through the delivery of superior advocacy, research, education and other professional and clinical resources to nurses and other health care professionals.
- Coalition for Improving Maternity Services: This is a coalition of individuals and national organizations with a mutual concern for the care and well-being of mothers, babies, and families. Members consist of the broader community of childbirth organizations, birth professionals, stakeholders, birth advocates and consumers. CIMS’ mission is to work with the birth and breastfeeding community by encouraging and promoting evidence-based, Mother-and-Baby-Friendly maternity care.
- MedScape OB/GYN Nursing: Access current topics and news reports about OB nursing through Medscape, managed by WebMD.
- OB/GYN Resource Center: Go here to view top OB/GYN articles, videos, clinical charts, patient information sheets, case studies, and more! This guide has been assembled and edited by an experienced staff of pharmacists and pharmacologists, utilizing information available from manufacturers, official compendia and medical/pharmaceutical references.
Resources for Soon-to-be Moms/Parents
With the little time nursing students and nurses have to educate parents, keep in mind these resources that you can recommend to pregnant mothers for their continued education:
- Childbirth.org: Pregnancy is a very special time in a person's life. Educating yourselves to be good consumers, knowing your options, and how to provide yourselves with the best possible care are essential to a healthy pregnancy. Enjoy the many links of educational, informational, and personal nature.
- Childbirth Connection: This non-profit organization provides trustworthy, up-to-date evidence-based information and resources on planning for pregnancy, labor and birth, and the postpartum period. Their mission is to improve the quality and value of maternity care through consumer engagement and health system transformation. Childbirth Connection promotes safe, effective and satisfying evidence-based maternity care and is a voice for the needs and interests of childbearing families.
- La Leche League USA: La Leche League USA is to help mothers to breastfeed through mother-to-mother support, encouragement, information, and education, and to promote a better understanding of breastfeeding as an important element in the healthy development of the baby and mother.
- Lamaze for Parents: A nonprofit organization that promotes a natural, healthy and safe approach to pregnancy, childbirth and early parenting. Knowing that pregnancy and childbirth can be demanding on a woman’s body and mind, Lamaze serves as a resource for information about what to expect and what choices are available during the childbearing years.