Current News in Mental Health Nursing
Want to see what the latest topics are revolving around Mental Health nurses?
Check out these websites to stay on top of current news, but also view these resources when you are a practicing RN for free and fast information.
- American Psychiatric Nurses Association (APNA): APNA has grown to be the largest professional membership organization committed to the specialty practice of psychiatric-mental health (PMH) nursing and wellness promotion, prevention of mental health problems, and the care and treatment of persons with psychiatric disorders.
- American Psychological Association (APA): The American Psychological Association is the largest scientific and professional organization representing psychology in the United States. APA is the world's largest association of psychologists, with more than 134,000 researchers, educators, clinicians, consultants and students as its members.
- MedScape: Mental Health and Psychiatric Nursing News: Go here to view the most current topics and trends that effect the psychiatric/mental health nurses.
- National Institute of Mental Health: The mission of NIMH is to transform the understanding and treatment of mental illnesses through basic and clinical research, paving the way for prevention, recovery, and cure.
Mental Health Resources for the Community
With the little time nursing students and nurses have to educate patients and their families, keep in mind these resources that you can recommend for their continued education regarding mental health:
- CDC Adolescence and School Health Website: CDC promotes the health and well-being of children and adolescents to enable them to become healthy and productive adults.
- National Center on Domestic Violence, Trauma, and Mental Health: provides training, support, and consultation to advocates, mental health and substance abuse providers, legal professionals, and policymakers as they work to improve agency and systems-level responses to survivors and their children. Our work is survivor defined and rooted in principles of social justice.
- Mental Health America of Illinois: Since 1909, Mental Health America of Illinois (MHAI) has worked to promote mental health, prevent mental illnesses and improve the care and treatment of persons suffering from mental and emotional disorders.
- Mental Health Resources, Inc: Mental Health Resources, Inc. (MHR) is a progressive, nonprofit organization that offers community- based mental health services to adults recovering from mental illness.